Your health:

Thinking about round two

By Baby Blogger Kate Richards
Ben's now crawling very efficiently and really starting to look like a little boy rather than a baby. Surprisingly, I'm already thinking of baby number two! But a cursory glance at parenting websites shows me that this stage is notorious for triggering broodiness.

However, I'm trying to keep things in perspective and stay rational. For a start, it takes quite a lot of work (rocking) for Ben to sleep, both at night and daytime naps. This could be awkward and uncomfortable when pregnant, and almost impossible with a small baby.
Another consideration is the time of year. Ben will be one of the oldest in his school year, and some of his future classmates still have two months to go until they're even born! Perhaps it would make no difference, but I'm pondering whether to time it so number two also has this possible advantage.

Luckily there has been no pressure at all from family to get a move on. But on the other hand, I know I can't just assume I'll conceive easily again. Although the number of women over 30 having babies has risen in recent decades, fertility does start to decline at this age, and drops more steeply from age 35 (which I am now).

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists states by the age of 40, only two in five women will be able to conceive, and it's often said that from a purely biological perspective, it's best to try to start a family before you're 35. Hmmm.

Reading up, I've just discovered that I also have a higher chance of having a multiple pregnancy, crikey! The risk of birth defects, especially those involving chromosomes such as Down's syndrome, has also increased for me.

There's certainly a lot to think about, and I imagine my husband will have an opinion too!

No comments:

Tights Store