Your health:

TAKING THE PARENT PLUNGE

Kate Richards
So after years of deliberation, husband and I are finally feeling brave enough to take the plunge into parenthood. What I've found is the more you think about it, the longer you'll delay it. Let's be honest, there's plenty to put you off! The list of potential hurdles and problems is endless, so perhaps it's best not to go there now, since it's too late to back out!


I must admit, the media scare stories on fertility probably gave me the final push. I'm 34 now, which is fine, but considering I (currently) want two children, I realised I didn't have forever. So we moved out of our thin-walled upstairs flat to a larger house, with garden. I started on folic acid a couple of months in advance, and pretty much stopped drinking alcohol. Luckily I've found this easy and I'm enjoying the clear-headedness.

After two months without success I turned to technology and bought a digital ovulation kit which indicates your fertile "window". It worked immediately. On the first day of the new decade we got our positive result. I felt strangely calm but very happy, and that's how the pregnancy has progressed so far. I don't know what I've done to deserve it but I haven't felt any morning sickness, tiredness, or any unpleasantness at all. Apparently this isn't uncommon, but of course the women who are suffering most are the ones who speak up. I realise I could easily be in the same boat next time, especially with a toddler running around.

I had been hoping for some exotic cravings, but none so far. The best I've had is a strong aversion to raw mushrooms. They've been banned from the house and I have to close my eyes in the relevant area of Sainsbury's.

Next time I'll tell you about my various medical encounters...

No comments:

Tights Store