Your health:

Broken resolutions?

Tara Wilkins
 It’s already the 11th of January! And how many of us have already failed on our New Year resolutions?

Did you have a specific New Year’s resolution this year? Was it the same one that you make every year?


Some of the most popular resolutions of 2013 are to save more money, get out of debt, get fit/lost weight, change job/career, quit smoking, give up alcohol, spend less time working, spend more time with family/friends, give up chocolate and move house.

 For the past few years I haven’t made any resolutions because I used to make them, “break them” and chastise myself for “failing”.

Looking back I didn’t really fail, just stumbled along the way. However, it was partly my fault as most years I tried to give up chocolate, with 4 or 5 boxes still left from Christmas in the cupboard. Silly me!

 So, instead of making New Year’s resolutions which prohibit me from eating a chocolate bar or forcing myself to do 20 sit ups a day (which for the record I simply cannot do) I try my best to eat healthily all year round, some days I fail, some days I succeed.

 If you find exercising at the gym a struggle (like me) then look into alternatives; walk instead of using the car, take a bike ride with your family or invest in some fun exercise DVD’s/games that you can enjoy with others.

If you’re a Coronation Street fan then you will have seen Change4Life’s New Year healthy eating campaign. With obesity in both adults and children on the rise in the UK the Department of Health are reaching out to those at a time when people are more willing to try something new.

 The campaign is urging the public to think about the ‘hidden nasties’ in everyday food so that we manage the amount of salt, sugar and fat we eat. Everyone that signs up to the campaign will get a free ‘Food Smart Meal Mixer’ which apparently has enough combinations to eat a different daily menu every day for six years!

This is an indication that this campaign wants us to persist with our healthy eating, not just for this year but for many years to come.

Even if you don’t need to lose weight, a healthier diet can still be advantageous for your personal health and wellbeing. I think it’s important to make our New Year’s resolution attainable and we need to remember that we have the whole year to make it happen. If we stumble in January, don’t beat yourself up about it, you have another 11 months of the year to make it happen!

 Whatever your resolution or goal for the year is I wish you all the best of luck with it! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Tights Store